Vice President of Engineering
Sqreen is a developer platform which detects security anomalies in web applications and provides automated responses in real-time. We improve the security standards of the world's most famous applications and help developers around the world doing a better job, every day. Founded by former security experts at Apple, Sqreen protects hundreds of apps and companies like Algolia, Front, Toptal, and Helpling and has offices in San Francisco and Paris.
Being initially featured in TechCrunch’s Disrupt SF Battlefield in 2016, the company recently graduated YCombinator and secured its soon-to-be-announced funding round! We’re proud to be backed by Silicon Valley’s most well-respected Venture Capital funds which allow us to continue building a solid platform, increase the momentum and scale our product and organisation.
For more information, visit https://www.sqreen.io.
You will be responsible for leading an extremely talented multi-cultural engineering team, developing the engineering culture, coordinating strategic technology choices and keeping the business on schedule. You will interact closely with the CTO and product team in tool selection, delivery roadmaps and other areas.
As the business grows and new customers are onboarded the product will need building in additional development languages, in tandem with evolving in complexity and features for existing languages.
Recruitment of talented engineers will be a priority for the successful candidate, both in Paris and San Francisco. You will need to closely follow the evolution of new web technologies, competitor products, and be passionate about the developer ecosystem.
The founding team split their time between Paris and San-Francisco and the VP Engineering will be the most senior leader based in Paris full-time. With an already international team the culture of the business is diverse and inclusive. As a group of approximately 15 people, the technical ability within the team is high and as a product targeted at the developers and engineers, a personal as well as professional interest in the wider software community is strongly desired.
- Build a strong engineering culture, facilitating work and communication across your organisation.
- Scale the engineering team, recruiting talented engineers who fit well with the Sqreen culture and DNA, capable of carrying out necessary engineering initiatives.
- Actively inspire, encourage talent development and career progression within the engineering team.
- Coordinate features design with Product team, define and prioritize the engineering roadmap and ensure delivery is meeting expectations.
- Drive the right technology choices and internal adoption, along with the CTO. Take appropriate risks, and proactively evaluate and manage incoming technical debt.
- Develop best practices for testing, deploying, and developing features and releases.
- Technical ability
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or a similar field
- Strong technical background, with a minimum of five years’ experience with web development and the ability to contribute to technical planning and design discussions
- Excellent communication skills with a minimum of four years’ hands-on technical management experience
- Experience of having managed a team of at least ten engineers
- Experience having implemented organizational processes to make sure that team delivers on time
- Experience of designing/developing cloud-based, scalable applications
- Experience of designing microservices architectures on hosted networks and cloud infrastructures, along with expertise in the architecture and integration of applications into existing web stacks without performance issues
- Expertise in developing with a keen appreciation of security requirements
- Technical leadership in high-growth VC / PE or Privately held Software, SaaS or Data businesses
- Appreciation of highly performant code and the quality challenges inherent in minimising the hit on performance of the underlying application Sqreen is protecting
- Understanding of modern architecture and design principles and development methodologies
- Must be able to provide technical leadership to a highly technical team, earning their respect, whilst ensuring delivery progress against the defined technology roadmap
- Experience of building, leading, and scaling engineering and development teams. Ideally, with exposure to various structures including in-house, near-shore, and outsourcing
- Comfortable peering with the CTO to set a technical product vision and make suggestions for technology choices
- Can articulate technology vision and delivery strategy in a language that enables discussion with a technical and non-technical audiences. Excellent communicator and issue resolver.
- Joining a fast growing tech company, scaling a team of amazing engineers to build one of the most disruptive security technology
- Become part of a super passionate team that loves their jobs and company :-)
- Beautiful office in central Paris (Sentier), in the heart of #FrenchTech
- Premium health insurance and coached SqreenFit sessions with the team (crossfit)
- Organic snacks & beverages and much more
Interested? Check us out at our twitter account. We’d love to hear from you!